Tuesday 10 June 2014

DIY Baby Play Gym


 Now that Addison is becoming more awake and aware of things going on, I realized I didn't have much in the way of visual stimulation for her. I love the idea of play gyms but not so much the price tag. Sure I could get one second hand but with no car during the day pick-up becomes tricky.

I mentioned the idea of making my own to Dave and he was excited because he got to go to one of his favourite places - the Hardware Store. He came back with a roll of thick wire and headed to the shed to make two lengths of double strength wire for me - about a metre each. He did that by tack soldering the two pieces of wire together at regular intervals.


Meanwhile I was at the sewing machine sewing together covers for the wire. Because babies are most attracted to strong contrasting colours, I picked a bunch of black and white and bright fabrics that I cut into strips and joined together to form long lengths. Before I sewed them into a tube, I added some ribbon. Two long pieces in the middle to tie the wires together, and a few ribbon loops at different intervals to attach toys to.


I then sewed down each length, turning them into two tubes, taking care not to catch the ribbon (I did, and had to unpick). Next I turned them right way out using a safety pin to help feed it through. I slid the tubes onto each piece of wire then set about making the base mat.

The mat is a polar fleece cot blanket I was given. It has a nice soft texture and a pretty applique butterfly in the corner so it makes a perfect place for a baby to hang out on. I turned the blanket into a square and cut off the excess fabric. I hemmed the edge I had cut so that it matched the other edges. With the excess fabric I cut four small triangles and sewed one to each corner, leaving the inside edge open. These triangles become the pockets that the wire lengths slot into and are held into place.


All there is left to do is put it all together. Each length of wire goes diagonally across the mat and fits into the pockets at each corner. The long length of ribbon in the middle of one of the wires is used to tie them together into an 'X' shape. Attach whatever toys you wish to the ribbon loops, lie your baby underneath and have fun watching them flail their arms about and accidentally hit them. It melts your heart, it really does.




The best part it that it all comes apart for easy washing and storage. I just prop the wires up in a corner and fold the blanket up.

It is also a cat entertainment system...


4 comments:

  1. girl, you are brilliant! also, i may see a cute owl toy in there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WAY better than my one. I might have to put an order in one day... :) I love that Killer is in amongst it all!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Motivating blog. Outstanding read, Positive site. Thank you for sharing this composition. CPP Boxes

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!

Non Googlers can post under Anonymous but leave your name so I know who you are!