Wednesday 14 August 2013

Milk Tart (Melktert) Recipe - Gluten Free

Milk Tart (or Melktert) is a South African favourite.
I was introduced to this delicious cinnamon smothered custard tart by my Sister-in-law and her South African hubby. My SIL is gluten intolerant and she made a similar version but I thought I would give you the recipe I adapted.
I am warning you now that it is pretty addictive!

Gluten Free Milk Tart



Base:

Gluten Free biscuits come in varying packet weights so the amount of butter you will need will also vary.

- 1 packet of Gluten Free biscuits (150-250g) (Plain is best but I used Gingernuts and it was delicious!)
- Melted butter - for 150g biscuits use 90g butter
                         - for 250g biscuits use 130g butter

- Crush biscuits in a food processor and mix with melted butter.
- Press into a LINED tart tin or pie dish, pressing biscuits up the sides of the tin as well as on the base.
- Refrigerate while making the filling.

Filling:

4 ½ cups milk
2 ½ Tbsp cornflour
3/4 cup sugar
3 eggs
pinch of salt
2 ½ Tbsp gluten free flour
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 Tbsp butter

- Bring milk to the boil.
- Beat eggs well in a large bowl and add sugar, flour, cornflour and salt. Mix well.
- Pour the boiling milk into the egg mixture and stir well.
- Return milk mixture to the stove on a medium heat and stir constantly.
- Keep stirring until the mixture thickens to a custard consistency.
- Add vanilla and butter and mix in.
- Pour mixture into the biscuit base and smooth the top.
- Sprinkle liberally with cinnamon and allow to cool and set in the fridge.
- Enjoy!




3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this wonderful recipe. I have made it a few times 🙂 really delicious especially with the ginger biscuit crust. I used muscovado sugar in the custard which gave it a lovely colour and flavour. I'm here again as I want to make this as a present for a friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I would love to make this - what type of gluten free flour can I use. Thank you ☺️

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just made this. I was looking for a gluten free Melktert for so long. Cant wait to taste it.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!

Non Googlers can post under Anonymous but leave your name so I know who you are!