Thursday 25 April 2013

{Crafty Bake} ANZAC Biscuits - The Ever So Slightly Healthy Recipe


Is there any day that is more appropriate to make one of NZs most iconic biscuits than ANZAC day?

I didn't quite make it to the dawn parade (although my cat made a pretty good case that 7 was a good time to wake up) but this is my way of remembering the bravery of our fallen soldiers....by eating biscuits...

When making my instant porridge last year I found a magnet in the bottom of the box. On the fridge it went until today when I remembered that there was a recipe for ANZAC biscuits. BONUS - it is a healthier version!

Harraways Healthier ANZAC Biscuits 

Makes 16 medium sized biscuits


2 cups Harraways Rolled Oats
1/2 cup Coconut
1/2 cup Sugar (I used brown sugar)
1/2 cup Flour

125g Margarine with the Healthy Tick (I used proactive)
2 T Golden Syrup
1 tsp Baking Soda
2 T Boiling Water

Pre heat oven to 180 degrees Celcuis.
In a bowl mix together the oats, coconut, sugar and flour.
In a separate bowl melt together the margarine and golden syrup.
Mix baking soda well with the boiling water.
Add all ingredients together and mix well.
Place spoonfuls onto a greased or lined tray.
Bake for 15 minutes.
Store in an airtight container when cool.


Golden syrup tip:

Squash them down after rolling them into balls!





Tips:
  • Brown sugar will give a slight caramel taste as well as a slightly darker biscuit than white sugar.
  • I like to roll the biscuits into balls then squash them - I found this mix was quite sticky so I lightly floured the palms of my hands so the mixture wouldn't stick. Repeat as many times as needed.
  • As soon as the baking soda hits the boiling water the reaction starts. Make sure you don't wait too long to get those bad boys in the oven! 
  • For a not-so-healthy alternative try drizzling them with melted chocolate or half dipping them.
  • When a recipe says it makes a certain number of biscuits, make sure it does, the cooking time is tailored to that size of biscuit.


     ENJOY!!




2 comments:

  1. Yum! We made the Edmonds recipe yesterday, but they aren't even remotely healthy. Hey, you should link this up with Fun with Food (if you want!) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummo! These taste delicious! ;)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!

Non Googlers can post under Anonymous but leave your name so I know who you are!