Wednesday 1 August 2012

Owl Door-Stop Tutorial


Hello again bloggy-friends. Here is a wee doorstop I made the other day and I thought I would show you the basics of how I made it. (Be aware - basics! I didn't take any photos along the way so I did some handy line sketches)

You will need:
  • Plain fabric
  • Contrasting fabric or scraps
  • Scissors
  • Sewing machine
  • Needle and Thread 
  • Around 2kg rice/wheat

Here is the basic pattern I made, you can make these as big or small as you wish.

The rectangle is the base of the door-stop, and the triangles are the sides.

Here are some photos to give you an idea of how it is put together: 






1. Sew the front and back of your owl to the rectangle base.


2. Sew the triangle pieces to the rectangle base then, with right sides together, sew up each side of the owl.

3. Add any eyes, ears, beaks and feathers (could be easier if you did that first but hey, live and learn)

4. Sew up top of owl, leaving room for the rice to go in.

5. Using a funnel or similar device (I used a piping bag) fill the door-stop with your rice/wheat.

6. Slip stitch the gap closed and you are done!
More Creative Spaces HERE

5 comments:

  1. Seriously, how cute is this?! I saw some doorstops in Trade Aid just yesterday and it occurred to me that they'd be good to stop my wee boy from always playing with the doors then getting stuck. I think some owls will soon be adorning our house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! Would love to see them finished! I made mine a bit fat I think. Exciting!

      Delete
  2. Thanks!! I'm loving the thick upholstery fabric, so many uses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!

Non Googlers can post under Anonymous but leave your name so I know who you are!