Friday 8 September 2017

Book Review: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Playscript

Not the actual cover - changes exclude the words 'new' and add PLAYSCRIPT

Don't worry guys, I'm not super behind the times here, I know this has been out for ages but Hachette have been releasing a few special editions of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. The specific edition I got my hands on to read and review is the Playscript.

"This revised paperback edition updates the 'special rehearsal edition' with the conclusive and final dialogue from the play, which has subtly changed since its rehearsals, as well as a conversation piece between director John Tiffany and writer Jack Thorne, who share stories and insights about reading playscripts. This edition also includes useful background information including the Potter family tree and a timeline of events from the wizarding world prior to the beginning of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child."

Having not read the original script when it was first published, I can't compare the 'subtle differences' but I did enjoy the extra timeline and family tree. The conversation piece I could give or take, it didn't really add to anything for me.

If you haven't already read it, this story is set 20ish years after the 7th Harry Potter novel, and Harry & Ginny's middle child, Albus Severus Potter, is headed off to Hogwarts for the first time. Albus has big shoes to fill and ends up befriending Draco Malfoy's son and they get involved in something they shouldn't and mess everything up. All with good intentions mind you.
That's pretty much all I can give away from the plot.

I enjoyed the storyline. I'm not a diehard Potterhead but I have read and loved the HP series. I can take this story as it comes and look past the things that others didn't like about it. There is plenty to read if you Google it!

After already reading a script-as-novel before with Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, I quickly re-oriented myself with the script format of the book. Also not for everyone, but you kind of get used to it and it adds a different dimension to how the characters act and think.

Overall a good read as an addition to the Potterverse and this version may be up your alley - it is also a paperback edition.

Available now!

Thanks to Hachette for the review copy of this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!

Non Googlers can post under Anonymous but leave your name so I know who you are!