Tuesday 18 October 2016

Book Review: The Midas Legacy by Andy McDermott



Once again I enter a series 12 books in. I feel like 12 books in a series is a lot to write and I understand the dilemma of character development as the characters age and having them still getting up to the thrilling, action-packed, page-turning antics that drew us in in the first place. I think Mc Dermott still makes it work but I don't know how much longer the series could keep up the dynamic.

The premise is that Nina Wilde and Eddie Chase have calmed down for a few years after plenty of near-death experiences while unearthing pieces of history, including the lost city of Atlantis. They now have a 3-year old daughter Macy but they get drawn into a new adventure seeking the Midas Cave - the place that legends tell of producing gold in unimaginable quantities.

The book is LONG, a big chunker that in no way can you read in one sitting. I think this is why it is written the way it is, there are big, exciting action bits, then it calms down so you feel you can put the book down for a break but know that there will be more the next time you pick it up. There are probably 6-7 big events that happen during the book which is almost overkill for me. I could have happily stopped after the first two if they were drawn out a bit. It felt a bit like a few books in one.

What drew me to the book is the treasure hunt aspect of the story. I love mythology and Atlantis especially, so I will probably go back and read a couple of earlier titles in the series which all seem to follow similar lines. The treasure hunt didn't disappoint.

I found the introduction of the child, and the fact that Nina and Eddie were parents, to be quite hard to relate to. It wasn't that they didn't care about her, they did enormously, but the pull of 'saving the world' took them away from her multiple times during the story. I feel like after one close call I would take my family and hide away for a while!

What I did like was Eddie. He is a British ex-soldier with a witty sense of humour and a potty mouth. His one-liners pop up in the most inappropriate places which made me laugh out loud while reading.

Overall I did enjoy this book, I would have enjoyed it more if it were shorter but the content was definitely action filled and I will be revisiting some of the earlier books. A good holiday read if you need something to fill in a couple of hours at a time.

Available now from all good book retailers.

Thanks to Hachette for my review copy


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!

Non Googlers can post under Anonymous but leave your name so I know who you are!